Have you subscribed to our channel yet?
Click the button to subscribe
When the pods of edamame mature, the green beans turn into golden yellow beans. The texture is no longer tender, and they become soybeans. Soybeans accumulate richer plant protein, contain phospholipids that help children’s brain development, various minerals, and vitamins. Whole soybeans are not easy to digest, and it is best to grind them into soy milk and drink them. Even though buying soy milk is convenient.
I still likes to grind soy milk herself and use fresh soy milk to make tofu. Only lemon juice and white rice vinegar are used as coagulants, without salt or gypsum. Homemade tofu has a rich soybean flavor, and the acidity of lemon juice and white rice vinegar naturally disappears during the protein conversion process. Therefore, there is no sour taste in the tofu.
Ingredients （ Box 18 x 8 x 8 cm )
- 270 g Organic Soy Beans
- 900 ml Water for Soaking Soy Beans
- 1600 ml Water for Blending
- 560 ml Water for Boiling
Lemon Vinegar Liquid
- 40 ml Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Chinese Rice Vinegar
- 170 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Chinese Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Water
Soy Milk • Recipe
- Rub and wash the soybeans, soak them in water until they swell. In summer, soaking for 3-4 hours is sufficient. Drain the soaked water, pick out the bad beans that do not open or have insect damage, and blend the soybeans twice in a blender until smooth. The number of blends depends on the blender’s horsepower and capacity.
2. Pour the soy milk into a large pot, add 560 ml of water, stir continuously, and bring to a boil over high heat. The soy milk will produce a lot of foam, be careful not to overflow. Adjust to low heat and simmer for another 10 minutes until the foam gradually subsides and the soy milk boils. Turn off the heat. Place a cotton cloth bag on a strainer, pour the soy milk into the bag, twist the bag tightly, and squeeze out the soy milk while removing the bean dregs.
Tofu • Recipe
1. Mix lemon juice, white rice vinegar, and water together and stir well. When the soy milk cools to 45ºC, pour the lemon vinegar mixture into the soy milk while stirring. After mixing well, do not stir again and let it stand for 15 minutes until the protein coagulates into tofu curds.
2. Pour the white vinegar mixture without stirring to accelerate the separation of the protein in the soy milk. The protein will solidify into a lumpy bottom. Heat the entire pot of tofu curds to 75~80ºC.
3. Place a cotton cloth on the mold, prepare a large plate to catch the filtrate. Scoop the tofu curds into the mold, try not to disperse the curds, wrap them in the cotton cloth, put a flat object on top, gently press and squeeze out excess water, then let it stand for 15-30 minutes
4. Put the entire tofu mold in ice water and set aside for 15 minutes. Open the cotton cloth carefully, remove the tofu, and place it in another container filled with boiling water for consumption. If not eaten immediately, soak it in lightly salted water and store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days
Soy Milk Tips
- When making soy milk, it is best to use a deeper stainless steel pot. It is less likely to retain odors and is easy to clean.
- Cook the soybean dregs and soy milk together and then filter them to make the soy milk richer.
- Raw soybeans contain saponin, which is harmful to the human body. Just-boiled soy milk is actually not fully cooked and must be boiled again on low heat for 10 minutes until the foam disappears before it is considered done.
- Soaking soybeans in water allows them to absorb moisture and soften tissue, making it easier to release protein and soybean flavor during grinding, and easier to absorb and digest. The soaking time should be adjusted according to the temperature: Summer: 4-6 hours; Winter: 7-9 hours.
- If the soy milk cannot coagulate, it may be due to insufficient lemon juice, incorrect coagulation time, or incorrect temperature.
- The coagulation strength of lemon juice depends on the variety. Fat Ting uses yellow lemons imported from the United States. If using other varieties, adjust the amount accordingly.
- The firmness of tofu depends on the pressure weight and the squeezing time.
- Most tofu boxes are square-shaped, but they are too large in volume, and I cannot eat too much tofu. Therefore, I uses honey cake wooden boxes, which are sold in baking shops, and the lid is homemade.
- Plastic boxes with holes at the bottom or disposable lunch boxes can also be used as tofu molds. When making them yourself, use something sharp to pierce the bottom of the plastic box to create a drainage hole, and cut off the edges of the box cover.
- Cotton cloth can also be used on a wire strainer, but the disadvantage is that the appearance is not beautiful, the pressure is uneven, and the tofu is easily loose.
More Recipe for Soy Bean Dregs
Soy Beans Dregs Biscotti https://www.beanpanda.com/6790
Vegan Soy Bean Floss https://www.beanpanda.com/47611
Soy Beans Dregs Sesame Bread https://www.beanpanda.com/6430