Homemade vegetable broth powder is much better than the one you buy at the store. 100% natural, free of preservative and less sodium. Make this your next weekend project !
Basic Ingredients for Homemade Vegetable Broth Powder
Mushrooms ~ contains natural sodium glutamate, also known as MSG. Its flavour is different from sweet, sour, salty , bitter. It can stimulate taste buds, adding food flavour. Different shapes of mushrooms have a unique flavour and nutrition , combine 2 to 3 different mushrooms will get a richer taste.
Tomatoes – contains natural sodium glutamate, relatively rich flavour, cherry tomatoes with less moisture are even better.
Onions and garlic – fried onions will release a natural sweetness, add the garlic could get rid of smell of vegetables.
Sea salt ~ natural preservatives, inhibit the growth of mold and bacteria. It can extend the shelf life of broth powder.
Ingredients ( can make 160 g vegetables powder )
- 200 g Sliced White Button Mushroom & King Trumpet Mushroom
- 1 Diced Onion ( 240 g )
- 3 Garlic
- 200 g Sliced Cherry Tomato
- 1 Diced Carrot ( 200 g )
- 1 Diced Potatoes ( 250 g )
- 200 g Chopped Cabbage ( 350 g )
- 65 g Sea Salt ( 5 % of total weight of vegetables )
1. Wash, pat dry and slice all your vegetables.
2. Wipe mushroom with a damp kitchen towel. Don’t wash otherwise it will wash away the aroma of mushrooms. Sliced and put them on baking tray. Preheat the oven to 90ºC. Bake 2 hours until crispy. Add them to a blender or food processor and blitz until you get a fine, crumbled mix. Put it in a airtight container.
3. Grease the pan with little oil, combine onion, carrot and potatoes. Cooked over medium heat for a while. Add cabbage and cherry tomatoes, stirring occasionally.
4. Once all vegetables are done, add salt. Salt will draw out water from the vegetables, so once salt is added, remove from heat, drain vegetables and let cool.
5. Add vegetables to a blender or food processor. Pour vegetable puree onto baking tray with baking matt. Spread puree in two baking tray (32 x 22 cm) evenly with rubber spatula. Preheat the oven to 90ºC. Bake 3 ~ 4 hours until dry and crispy. Watch out to prevent scorched.
6. Add the dried vegetables to a blender or food processor and blitz until you get a fine mix. Store in an airtight jar with moistureproof bead, in the pantry, away from light or moisture.
- Combination of vegetables could varies according to seasons. Quantity are not necessary to be accurate.
- Keep in room temperature, shelf life 3 ~ 6 month
- 500 ml water + 3 tsp vege broth powder，stir well and it become vegetable broth