This vegan Thai banana dessert is made with sliced bananas cooked in coconut milk and topped with sago and peanuts. For good taste you will need the Kluai Nam Wa type of bananas from Thailand. The Thai name of this banana dessert is kluai buat chi.
Ingredients ( serve 6 ~ 8 )
- 10 Ripe Nam Wa type Bananas ( From Thailand )
- 500 ml Coconut Cream
- 1500 ml Water
- 90 g Sago
- 1 pcs Pandan Leaf ( optional )
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- Punch of Sea Salt
- 20 g White Sesame
- 20 g Roasted and Ground Peanut
1. Banana peeled, halved lengthwise. In a large bowl, dissolve coarse salt in water. Add cut bananas and leave to soak for 15 minutes. Pandan leaf make a knot.
2. Pour water into a pan, bring to boil. Blanch banana in the boiling water and put it back to the cold salt water. Drained the boiling water.
3. Pour water to the other pan, bring to boil. Add sago and simmer for 7 – 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally until tapioca is soft and translucent. Remove from heat and drain. Put cooked sago into a bowl of cold water.
4. Cut bananas crosswise into 3 or 4 sections each. Pour 1500 ml water in to a pan, bring to boil, add bananas, coconut cream, sugar, pandan leaf, salt. Stir and combine well. Add sago after boiling, remove from heat.
5. Sprinkle with white sesame and roasted ground peanut.
- The key is to choose banana that are just ripe
- Blanch banana in the boiling water and put it back to the cold salt water prevent banana rotten when cooking.