Hokkaido Milk Toast is basically the lightest, softest and fluffiest pillowy white bread you can imagine, as opposed to the chewy baguettes of France or the sturdier, coarser grain of American sandwich breads. Its sweet and milky flavour makes an ideal base for all sorts of toppings, and is delicious to eat on its own without further embellishment.
Ingredients A ( Makes 450 g Toast x 2 )
- 540 g Bread Flour
- 70 g Caster Sugar
- 8 g Sea Salt
- 11 g Instant Yeast
- 86 g Eggs
- 59 g Whipping Cream
- 54 g Milk
- 184 g Tangzhong ( How to make Tangzhong Click Here )
- 40 g Unsalted Butter
1. In a stand mixer ( I use Kitchen Aid ) mixing bowl, combine Ingredients A & B, sugar and yeast place at the opposite side, stir well. Add milk directly to the yeast. With dough hook attachment, beat all ingredients at Speed 2 until it comes together into a soft, sticky dough, about 5 minute.
2. Add butter when the dough is form. Beat at Speed 4 for 15 – 20 mins.You should be able to stretch the dough out fairly thin without it breaking (the windowpane test). If it breaks right away when you try to stretch, mix it for a couple more minutes.
3. Shape dough into ball shape, put back into the mixing bowl and wrap. Let proof for about 40 minutes ( dough temperature 28°C ) until dough has doubled in size. Lightly press one fingertips about one-half inch into the dough. The dough is ready if an indention remains when fingertips are removed.
4. Punch the dough down. Take the dough and split into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. Roll the packet up from the bottom to make a fat roll. Repeat with other 5 balls of dough. Arrange the 3 rolls of dough, seam side down, in the prepared loaf pan. Cover with damp cloth. Let proof for another 40 minutes (dough temperature 38°C ) until the dough reaches just below the rim of the loaf pan. If it is difficult to roll out dough, let it stand for 10 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 160°C while the bread is proofing for the second time. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 35 min. Turn out bread onto wire rack and let cool before eating.