Roasting chestnuts is simplicity itself, just follow these simple steps to make a delicious snack.
- 600 g Chestnut 600 g
- 1 tbsp Demerara Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1000 ml Water
1. Place chestnuts in the shade to dry 1 to 2 days
2. Carefully cut an X into the top of each nut with a scissors cutting through the shell. This will allow steam to escape, otherwise the chestnuts can explode ! Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
3. Bring a pot of water to boil, add chestnut and sugar, simmer for 10 mins until shells curl away from nutmeats.
4. Drain chestnuts and pat dry. Spread chestnuts in a single layer in centre of foil on a baking tray. Brush chestnuts with oil, and toss to coat.
5. Roast for 10 mins, take out the chestnuts and brush with honey, bake another 5 mins, depending on size and age of nuts.