Pomegranate molasses is a pretty simple ingredient you can make it yourself. It is pomegranate juice that has been reduced down, with or without sugar, to a thick, intensely flavored syrup.
Ingredients （ Servings: About 165 ml pomegranate molasses）
- 8 Pomegranate
1. Eight pomegranate can get about 4 cups ( 1000 ml ) pomegranate arils which can obtain about 500 ml of pomegranate juice
2. Sieve and press gently with a tablespoon, squeeze all the pomegranate juice. Preheat oven to 160ºC. Chilled a small plate in the freezer for the test of syrup thickness later
3. Pour the pomegranate juice in a pan into the oven 75 to 80 minutes. Allow the liquid to simmer very lightly till the liquid reduces by 75% to about 160 ml of molasses. The pomegranate juice will gradually darken. Observe carefully don’t let the water evaporate too much to avoid scorching
4. The liquid is ready when it has a light syrupy consistency and coats the back of a spoon. The syrup will continue to thicken as it cools. If you’re unsure about the consistency, drop the syrup on a chilled plate, use your finger to draw a line, if the scratch is clear that’s done. After the syrup cools completely, store it in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months
- Oven temperature may varies, if it’s a lot more liquid, continue reducing.
- Avoid Metal Container