Subscribe My YouTube Channel NOW
Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk. This Chinese steamed custard fillings recipe yields incredibly soft and creamy texture, and just the right amount of sweetness which can be as fillings in steamed buns and mooncake.
- 100 g Egg Yolk
- 30 g Demerara Raw Cane Sugar
- 120 ml Milk
- 50 g Cake Flour
- 40 g Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 tsp Homemade Vanilla Extract
1. In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolk and demerara sugar until sugar dissolved. Strain through a sieve over a set of bowl.
2. Add milk and mix well
3. Sift flour into a stainless steel bowl. Add the milk mixture by 3 ~ 4 batches. Make sure there is no lumps left behind before the next batches of milk mixture
4. Add the vanilla extract and mix well
5. Add diced unsalted butter cubes
6. Cook the custard mixture in a double boiler at low heat. Keep stirring until butter is completely melted, then stop stirring. Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, custard start to set at the bottom. Use a wooden spoon scraping from the bottom of the bowl. Repeat once more but do not stir too much. Cook for another 2 minutes. Put away from heat when the custard is set. The custard will become harder the longer cooking time. Don’t overcooked. The custard fillings is a little bit soft when it is hot.
7. Let cool and chill custard dough for 1 ~ 2 hours in the refrigerator until firm enough. Roll the custard dough and cut crosswise with a knife. Divide into 20 each weight 14 ~ 15 g, shape to ball
- Custard fillings can keep in refrigerator for 2 ~ 3 days