A delicious, simple corn soup recipe with a touch of parmesan cheese, curry powder & the rich flavour of fresh corn on the cob!
Ingredients ( Serve 3 to 4 )
- 100 g Corn Kernel ( freshly cut from the cob )
- 40 g Onion
- 250 ml Milk
- 125 ml Whipping Cream
- 25 g Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tbsp Demerara Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- Punch of Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1. Coarsely chopped onion. Shred Parmesan.
2. Tied up corn skin and rinse. Cut corn kernels from the cob.
3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, put in oil. Gently cook onion and corn kernels for about 5 minutes; just until tender. Do not let onion brown. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and Demerara sugar. Stir well to draw out the flavour of the corn.
4. In a medium saucepan combine milk, whipping cream and shredded parmesan cheese. Warm over medium-low heat just until heated through. Pour the corn mixture into the warm milk. Stirring often over medium heat, bring just to simmering. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
5. Keep some of the corn kernels. Use a hand blender puree soup until very smooth. Pour pureed soup through a fine wire strainer set over a bowl, allowing soup to drain through. Return soup to pan. Reheat over medium heat. To taste, add salt, curry powder and garlic powder. To serve, divide soup among bowls, top with some of the remaining corn and dash of freshly ground curry powder.
For thinner soup, warm 1 cup milk over medium heat; gradually stir into soup to reach desired consistency. For Creamed Corn, corn soup no need to drain. Add extra corn kernels.
- Sweetness and nutritional value of corn decreases over time, it is best eaten as soon as possible. To store corn kernels, wrap into bag with a zipper into freezer