The purest, most oniony, most delicious no stock French Onion Soup. Made with little more than water, onions, bread and cheese. Most suitable for those who like clean eating and off course, vegetarian.
Ingredients ( Serve 3 ~ 4 )
- 1200 g Onion
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/4 Sea Salt
- Pinch of Ground Black Pepper
- 500 ~ 750 ml Water
- 40 ml White Wine
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp Red Wine Vinegar ( Better with Sherry )
- 4 Sliced Baguette
- 80 g Cheddar or Mozzarella
- Fresh Thyme
1. Peel onion, cut in half and rinse with running water could reduce irritation, finely sliced.
2. Put some oil in a cast iron pan. Add the onions and sea salt, fry with high heat until steam come out. Reduce to low heat with the lid on for 30 minutes. The onions should be soft but not golden, release onion juice.
3. Season with several grinds of pepper. Cover and cook with low heat for 3 ~ 4 hours, stirring occasionally. You should be able to leave the onions alone for an half an hour at a stretch once they’ve released their water.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 100°C. Place the bread slices in the oven and let dry completely
5. Once the onions have turned amber, taste no spicy but sweet taste. Add water. Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Add the sherry. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. If the soup is too sweet, add the vinegar or white wine. If you would like a little more depth, add a splash of red wine.
6. Portion the soup into bowls, top with bread, cover with cheese, put back to the oven until the cheese is melted and nicely browned. Serve immediately.