France Nougat is traditionally made with almonds or pistachios and is as much about the honey used as the ingredients folded through at the end. Adjust the flavours in this recipe to suit your own taste.
Ingredients ( Makes firstname.lastname@example.org x 5 cm )
- 30 g Egg White
- 70 g Honey
- 150 g Rock Sugar
- 50 g Coffee Sugar
- 36 g Maltose
- 100 g Hot Water
- 50 g Pistachio
- 50 g Raw Hazelnuts
- 150 g Almond
- 25 g Homemade Dried Cranberry 25 g ( How to make Homemade Dried Cranberry Click Here )
- Preheat oven to 100˚C, place all the nuts on the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Keep it in the oven if you are not using them yet.
- Prepare two saucepan for cooking sugar syrup and honey separately.
- Line baking pan with baking sheet. Sprinkle with corn starch.
1. Prepare two saucepan. In the first one, place 150 g rock sugar, 50 g coffee sugar, 36 g maltose and 100 g hot water over low heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook for 8 minutes or until mixture reaches 120°C on a sugar thermometer. Keep cooking the sugar syrup.
2. Meanwhile, place 70 g honey in another saucepan of simmering water. Heat for 5 minutes or until honey reaches 120°C.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites to soft peaks.
4. When the honey reach128°C. With motor running at medium speed, gradually add honey in a thin, steady stream, whisking until combined. It will take about 2 minutes.
5. When sugar syrup reach 165°C, add sugar syrup in a thin, steady stream, whisking until combined. Increase speed to high. Whisk for 2 ~ 3 minutes or until thick and glossy. Fold through pistachios and cranberries quickly.
6. Line a pan with baking paper. Sprinkle with corn starch. Pour the nougat mixture onto it, sprinkle with more corn starch on top. Let it cool a bit, roll to a ball with hands.
7. Cover with baking sheet, roll to a 2 cm thick layer. Put a baking tray on top and weigh it down with something heavy, like a jar or can of beans. Let stand for 1 to 2 hours until hard. Wrap with rice paper and cutting to fit.