Persimmons are a good source of fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants. They are one of my favourite fall/early winter foods to use in smoothie recipes. They are best used as either a flavour fruit in a smoothie or they can contribute to the smoothie base along with other creamy base fruits. This Persimmons, Banana and Chia Smoothie is a great option for a healthy afternoon tea. Loaded with superfoods and chia seeds, it will keep you full until dinner!
Ingredients ( Serve 2 )
- 3 Persimmons
- 1 Banana
- 5 Dried Chinese Red Date
- 60 g Unsalted Almond
- 250 ml Water ( for Making almond Milk )
- 2 tsp Chia Seeds
- 120 ml Water ( for soaking Chia Seeds )
- 1 tsp Honey
1. Peel Persimmons and banana. Cut into chunks and keep in a zip-lock bag and chill in freezer overnight.
2. Soak Chinese red dates in hot water for about 20 mins, remove seeds.
3. Soak chia seeds in 120 ml cold water ( no need to rinse before soaking ). Once the seeds have gelled up and the mixture is no longer watery, add honey and mix well.
4. Blend almond with 250 ml water into almond milk. Place the almonds in the blender and cover with 250 ml of water. Pulse the blender a few times to break up the almonds, then blend continuously for two minutes. The almonds should be broken down into a very fine meal and the water should be white and opaque. Line the strainer with the opened nut bag, and place over a measuring cup. Pour the almond mixture into the strainer. Squeeze and press with clean hands to extract as much almond milk as possible.
5. Take out the freezed pumpkin and banana, place it in the blender, follow by red dates, almond milk, blended until smooth. Pour into the glass with chia seeds and serve.