Stay in Touch ! Subscribe YouTube https://goo.gl/rBq3rJ
Not only kids, everyone will love to make these magical, festive Christmas stain glass cookies and hang them with pretty ribbon. Try baking these fun and easy Christmas cookies with young children.
Ingredients ( Makes 24 @ 8 cm diameter)
- 100 g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 40 g Demerara Raw Cane Sugar （Blended to Icing Sugar )
- 162 g Cake Flour
- 12 g Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 30 Very finely crushed hard candy, such as Fox’s Candy or Jolly Rancher, in various colours ( Best with Red, Orange, Green Colour )
- 60 g Icing Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cold Water
1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and beat to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat to combine. With mixer on low, Form dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Gradually add flour mixture (plain flour, corn starch and baking soda) and crash with a rubber spatula. Knead to combine to a smooth dough but don’t over knead.
3. Shape the dough to a square, roll out dough to about 0.5 cm thickness on a table sprinkle with flour. I use to divide the dough to 2 parts which can be done more easily.
4. Preheat oven to 170º. With a snowflake cookie cutter, cut out dough (reroll scraps, if desired). Place cookies, 1 cm apart, on silicon baking sheets. With a 1 cm star cutter, cut out dough in the centre or any pattern you like of each cookie. I make a little hole with toothpick so so that you can tie it up with a role or ribbon.
5. Bake until cookies are pale but set, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. By the way, use mortar and pestle to crush the hard candy, or you can seal in a zip-top bag and pound with a meat mallet or small skillet. Place it in a small bowl and sort by colour.
6. Remove sheets from oven but don’t turn off the oven; fill cutouts with crushed candy. Bake until cookies begin to brown at edges and candy is melted, about 3 ~ 5 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
7. If you want to have some icing decoration, Click to Ginger Bread Recipe. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers, up to 1 week.