Once you eat one paper thin crispy wafer, you just can’t stop. In fact, Wafer is gluten free, no deep fried and no oil. However, the commercial wafers sandwiched with buttercream which is high fat high sugar, containing trans fat, artificial flavour and colouring.
Homemade paper thin wafer is quite simple. All you need is a egg roll maker. Gas heat or electronic is all right. Simple ingredients include tapioca starch, almond flour, water and some sugar.
Original Flavour Batter ( Make 18 pieces @ 16 cm )
- 100 gTapioca Starch 100 g
- 15 g Hazenut Flour or Almond Flour
- 10 g Demerara Raw Cane Sugar
- 100 g Cold Water
- 100 g Boiling Water
- Original Flavour Batter + Freeze Dried Strawberry Powder 2 tsp + Red Pitaya Powder 1 tsp
- Original Flavour Batter + Homemade Pumpkin Powder 3 tsp
- Original Flavour Batter + Matcha Powder 2 tsp
(Purple) Purple Sweet Potato ／Blueberry
- Original Flavour Batter + Homemade Purple Sweet Potato 2 tsp
- Original Flavour Batter + Freeze Dried Blueberry Powder 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Original Flavour Batter + Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 2 tsp
- Homemade Peanut Paste (Any kind of Nut Butter or Seed Butter )
- Gas Heat Egg Roll Maker
1. Sieve Tapioca Starch into a big bowl. Add in almond flour and Demerara raw sugar. Mix with cold water, keep stirring until all starch dissolve into the water and become a thick batter. If the batter is very watery, add more tapioca starch.
2. Get 100 g water into boil. Keep stirring the cold while adding slowly the boiling water. Mix into a slightly thick batter with no dry starch. The starch and water in the batter should not be separate when set.
3. Preheat the egg roll maker over small heat each side for about 1 minutes. Scoop a tablespoon of batter on the egg roll. Close the egg roll maker, heated for 1 minute and turnover for another 1 minute. The cooked water should have a smooth surface, gently breaking can be split into half. If the wafer turn into to brown indicates it is over heated. If the edge still soft it is uncooked, move the edge to centre of the egg roll maker, cover and heat for 30 seconds or more .
4. Cool the cooked wafer on rack. You can cut it into any size if you like. Stored in the air-tight container or zip bag. Sandwich with nut butter or seed butter when serve.